Epiphany Proclamation 2014

One of the things I miss from parish ministry is the reading of the Epiphany Proclamation each year. So, dear reader, I hope you find this edifying and even enjoyable.

dropcap dear friends in Christ, the glory of the Lord has shone upon us, and shall ever be manifest among us, until the day of his return. Through the rhythms of times and seasons let us celebrate the mysteries of salvation. Let us recall the year’s culmination, the Easter Triduum of the Lord: his last supper, his crucifixion, his burial, and his rising celebrated between the evening of the seventeenth day of April and the evening of the nineteenth day of April.

Each Easter – as on each Sunday – the Holy Church makes present the great and saving deed by which Christ has for ever conquered sin and death. From Easter are reckoned all the days we keep holy. Ash Wednesday, the beginning of Lent, will occur on the fifth day of March. The Ascension of the Lord will be commemorated on the twenty-ninth day of May. Pentecost, the joyful conclusion of the season of Easter, will be celebrated on the eighth day of June. And, this year the First Sunday of Advent will be on the thirtieth day of November.

Likewise the pilgrim Church proclaims the passover of Christ in the feasts of the holy Mother of God, in the feasts of the Apostles and Saints, and in the commemoration of the faithful departed.

To Jesus Christ, who was, who is, and who is to come, Lord of time and history, be endless praise, for ever and ever. Amen.

1. Willo Fuhr says:

As it looks like we will not be able to get out today (extremely bad weather) it was nice to be able to reflect on your post and to have a concise list of dates for the Holy Days for the coming year. I would like to add that my few minutes to read your7WD ends up with my going all over the web reading your recommendations or things you refer to.

2. John McQueen says:

Funny, this is a Roman Catholic tradition. Sort of playing church.

John, and what a wondering tradition it is. I’m not sure what you mean by “playing church.”

Willo, glad I could provide a way to pass the time on a cold day.

4. John McQueen says:

Can you tell me where this is printed in the BOS or BCP? Or as your last post states is this a “willi-nilli” made up priest thing.

As you already know, it’s not in either BOS or BCP. I always read the proclamation after the peace, under the rubric of “necessary announcements.” So you can rest assured nothing was willy-nilly about offering this rich tradition.

6. Greg Brown says:

Wait – wasn’t Epiphany celebrated yesterday?

7. Greg Brown says:

(tongue firmly in cheek)

8. John McQueen says:

Playing church: dressing up in fancy clothes, using overly ridiculously dated language and making liturgy more like a Shakespearean drama club. Really what you describe is just that; playing church (and I suppose one might miss the fun of playing).
    Even with necessity and all.

John, as you well know, there are a variety of expressions of Christian worship. It sounds like you are uncomfortable with catholic-minded worship. While you are entitled to your opinions and preferences, I don’t think it’s a reasonable expectation that everyone will conform to your preference. For example, I would not log on to a Baptist-leaning website and insult them for failing to wear vestments. I don’t think any presbyter wearing vestments and celebrating ancient liturgy would have the sense that she or he is “playing church.”

Greg, some would say that Epiphany can be celebrated any time. We’ve all heard of “Christmas in July,” so maybe it’s time to trot out “Epiphany in August!”

10. Greg Brown says:

Love it! After all, the stores need something to stock once they’re done with their Fourth of July displays. “Stock up now for Epiphany; it’s just around the corner!” 😀