Banned at GAFCON?!

Wow. I just read Ruth Gledhill’s blog, only to learn that I have been banned from GAFCON. Apparently, I am such a threat to “orthodox” Anglicans that immediately upon my appearance, people should break into singing “All hail the power of Jesus’ name” — should I manage to breach security. I guess one could do worse in a theme song.

I’m baffled. Look at the cast of characters. There I am with Bishop Robert O’Neill, Davis MacIyalla, Colin Coward, Louie Crew, Susan Russell, and Deborah and Robert Edmunds. Of course, I am honored to be listed in this company. I’m tempted to start a campaign to raise money so that we can all get together and have a “Banned in GAFCON” dinner party. So far that’s my best plan. I’d be open to other suggestions.

This is my first experience at being banned, so I would welcome any advice that my good readers might have.

1. I’m so envious I can hardly stand it.

2. heidomaine says:

Golly, Scott. Does it take a lot of work and energy to get banned? Should I be trying harder?

3. Ann says:

Reminds me of the deck of cards at GC – with the usual suspects – you are moving up. A bit scary tho IMO.

4. Pisco Sours says:

Scott , congratulations! I think that deserves a little something.

5. What is this? Why are they doing this to you? You seem a nice enough boy?

6. Hey Scott! Yo!

Whad’ya do? I just didn’t get invited — you got banned…

Having read Riazat Butt’s piece in the Guardian, I am trying to de-tune from this whole thing. I just cannot believe that anyone would condone rape and lynching, if indeed reported behaviours have been going on in some African countries. The morality of homosexuality is mysterious and subtle. The morality of rape and lynching isn’t.

7. Peter says:

Does this mean that we have to do the radio spot this Friday (www.wnri.com, people) in a hood so you’re not recognized?

8. Malcolm says:

Prior to the 2003 provincial election here, an opposition “hit list” of civil servants and crown appointees with governing party connections was leaked.

Despite having had a series of riding and provincial positions in the governing party, my name was nowhere to be found. Despite having never been “political,” there was my wife, identified as an NDP hack.

I’m still smarting from that one.

Now this.

It hurts. It really hurts. I’m too harmless to ban.

O the humiliation!

9. BillyDinPVD says:

Seriously, Fr. Gunn, who’d you piss off, and how?

10. Gerald Bray says:

Is it true? You cannot believe everything you read in the papers, and with no official source stating that you have been banned from GAFCON, it is unwise to presume too much. Wait until you get some solid evidence.

Dr. Bray, I’m not sure what would constitute “solid evidence.” Ruth Gledhill has a photo online showing the “GAFCON No Entry List.” There are eight names there. “Banned” may not be precisely correct, but it seems very close to accurate.

As for the question of why I was banned, I suspect it was my appearance in Dar es Salaam at the Primates’ Meeting. The conservatives were used to having these Anglican events to themselves. There were four of us progressives there, ready to speak with media and to *gasp* crack some jokes.

Pax,
    Scott

P.S. I am grateful for all your scholarly work, Dr. Bray. In grad school “Documents of the English Reformation” was #3 behind the BCP and the Bible as most commonly consulted work. Thanks for stopping by!

12. Matthew J. Bowen, PhD says:

Anxiety is among the worst scourges of the world. Why is this group feeling so threatened?
    If you’d like, I’m happy to work out the guitar parts for “All hail the power of Jesus’ name.” so we can play it (for you/at you)at Christ Church. The GAFCON crowd has not–to my knowledge–secured my permission to use this photo I took of you. That being said, do you need additional photos?

-Matt

13. Peter says:

no jokes; this is serious business…!!

14. FrDavid says:

Bishop Alan is right. Rape is immoral.
    But “morality about homosexuality is mysterious and subtle”? What on earth does that mean?
    I have never heard of “mysterious morality”. Is it new?

15. Dan, the poor dirt farmer says:

i am confused- I don’t see an official banned list posted for GAFCON.
    A person ranting on the internet saying someone shouldn’t come sounds like that.
    Is this between you and Ruth Gledhill?
    Is it her agenda and not GAFCON’s?

Morality – no mystery in the Bible. Matt 19:10-12.
    As I understand it, Judgement is based on one’s personal behaviors.
    I was not invited to GAFCON. I was not deeply scared. I have friends that went and are sharing.

%d bloggers like this: